In professional practice and for many laboratory jobs, it is important to protect the product from pollution, whether from the environment or from personnel. When working with hazardous substances, it is necessary to protect the life of the operator, and to achieve this, laminar flow hoods are ideal, these allow to protect the product with which you are working. As well as biological safety, it preserves the product, the personnel and the environment.
These units work mainly in medical research or microbiology laboratories, sampling, heavy waste areas, a multitude of scientific processes, from in vitro fertilization, to clinical analysis or tissue culture.
Functions of Laminar Flow hoods
The laminar flow hoods are units that provide a space delimited by surfaces easy to clean and disinfect, with a filtered air flow that retains the largest particles, and by HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filters, which are high efficiency filters capable of retaining particles ≥ 0.3 μm with a minimum efficiency of 99.97%. All air entering the work area is filtered and causes a unidirectional flow, reaching an exclusion of particles present in it. Previously, this movement was called laminar, for this reason the equipment was called laminar flow hoods, name that is still used.
Two types of laminar flow hoods are available:
- Horizontal Flow hoods, where its filtering mechanisms are located at the back of the hood, causing the unidirectional airflow to move across horizontal parallel lines, i.e. from the back of the equipment, towards the operator.
- Vertical Flow hoods, likewise act with filters, placed at the top of the hood, so the unidirectional airflow, moves through vertical parallel lines. It has a transparent protective sheet, which protects the upper front of the same.
Consequently, horizontal flow hoods, reduces the turbulence level unlike vertical flow cabs, because, the airflow does not hit the surface, more however, vertical flow cabs, create less turbulence around large parts of the equipment.
Biological Safety Units
When working with certain microorganisms, cytotoxic products or products that cause allergic reactions, biological safety units should be used, which have the same HEPA filters at the air outlet that retain contaminants, thus achieving protection of the product, the operator and the environment.
It can be considered that these devices have a general protection mechanism, and the following recommendations should be taken into account:
- The units must be placed in rooms, free of air currents, and restricted access. Usually there is a previous locker room where the staff places the robe and other garments.
- To operate the equipment, it is advisable to wear long-sleeved gowns with closed cuffs, caps and shoe covers. Depending on the task to be performed, the use of gloves (without talc) may be required.
- Disinfect the work surface using a cloth moistened with 70% alcohol starting from the back outward, repeating the process with overlapping movements.
- Turn on the computers at least 30 minutes before you start working.
In this way, excellent handling of the products to be used is achieved, and in turn protects the operator from any kind of danger. It is important to remember that during the work in front of these equipment, the operator does not consume any food.
Laminar Flow HoodsBrand Kalstein
At Kalstein, we are able to meet the demands of our users in the selection of laboratory equipment. We offer you, the Laminar Flow hoods, corresponding to the YR series, which has attractive features, such as: filters to meet the requirements of user purification degree. LED microcomputer controller, adjustable fan speed. The operating door, can be located in any position. Low power centrifugal wind wheel motor, based on the principle of airflow mechanics, large diameter arc-shaped inlet design to reduce turbulence generated and ensure quiet system operation.
To learn more about our products, visit HERE
At Kalstein, as manufacturers, we provide all the advice our customers need, so that their purchase is ideal, and at excellent prices.
Come visit us at HERE